Monday, March 15, 2010

Catching Up

It's been a while since our last update, and we do have a few pictures to share, so I thought I'd squeeze them all into one post.

PIZZA PIZZA
Unfortunately I've found myself in a position of having lot of time on my hands lately. Among other things, it's given me the opportunity to dive into one my real passions, which is cooking. The fam' has graciously accepted the position of being my dining guinea pigs (really, what choice do they have), but I don't think they've been put out with the recipes I've been trying. We have discovered some great tastes and even managed to put more healthy foods into our diet. One recipe we love that may not be at the top of the healthy list is pizza. Recently I've been trying to perfect my pizza dough, pulling bits and pieces from recipes all over the internet. My last attempt was ruled the best so far by my critics (Niki and Lawson).

Here I put together a Margherita Pizza which was simple but tasty. Homemade tomato sauce, mozzarella, olive oil, and basil on a light, hand-tossed garlic crust.

This BBQ Chicken pizza was on the thick and hearty side. Kansas City bbq sauce under mounds of mozzarella, slow grilled chicken, red onions, fresh minced garlic and cilantro, finished off with apple smoked bacon. Made the crust on this a little more dense to carry the loads of ingredients. I have had some good pizza in my day, but I have to say this BBQ chicken was close to the best I ever had. The cornmeal dusted crust really made it. My pizza adventure will continue, but I think my quest for the perfect crust has come to an end.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SMELLA RELLA!
On February 23rd we celebrated the 6th birthday of our little girl Belle. As far as good dog's go, we think she's right there at the top. Although she doesn't get around as good as she used to because of a old leg injury, she's more lovey (and human) than ever. Although we don't feed her people food to often, with the exception of the occasional let over eggs or peanut butter, her big day was celebrated with a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Luckily we got the candle out of there before she had a chance to eat it. Aside from the occasional unsightly butt licking, we think you are just about as good and sweet as man's best friend can get.

DANCE FEVER
Wow, what a surreal moment to be standing on the side of a gym watching your child experience his first school dance. Niki and I were nervous just watching. A few weeks ago the school hosted a dance and invited students and parents to attend. We ate pizza and soda with some of our good friends in the school cafeteria before turning the kids loose in gym to tear it up and boogie to the DJ. It was so funny watching all these 4th and 5th graders bust out moves they must have picked up from mom, dad, and probably high school musical (good thing MTV doesn't show videos anymore). Lawson spent about half the night running around the dance floor like most of the kids and then spent the other half following around, and dancing with, Angelica (pronounced "An-helica"). This is a picture of Lawson and Angelica doing the chicken dance (Angelica in the blue and white dress with long dark hair). Our little Lawson had a smile on his face the whole time he was dancing. Occasionally he would throw us a look which was a combination of 'don't look at me you're embarrassing' and 'aren't you proud of me'. Although he doesn't admit to being at the liking girls stage yet, he did tell us that he likes Angelica because "she's really smart and writes in cursive". If those aren't the traits of a nice girl, I don't know what are. Although there are many milestones you reach as a parent, this was certainly one of the highlights. Seeing our son's first dance with an innocent school aged crush was priceless. Although I'm not interested in rushing his interest in girls, I was jumping up and down inside, happy that my 9 year old boy was courageous enough to go up and dance with someone he liked. I tried to keep it cool on the outside, but I did shoot him a thumbs up and smile, making sure he knew his dad was proud of him.


LAST GAME
The "Spazz" finally had their last game of the season. Finishing 5-3, they had a great first year as a team, winning their final game by a land slide. Lawson is still learning the offensive and defensive setups, but he did pretty decent being his first year on an organized team with rules.



DAM...THAT'S A GREAT VIEW
This past weekend it was great weather. We took a drive up to Canyon Lake where we go boating with Niki's folks. On one side of the lake you can park and walk across a dam. The length of the dam is almost a mile. The walk gives you a pretty good view of the southeast side of the lake which is where we spend most of our time when we're out on the boat. Typically we drop anchor near the shore by the damn, turn on the stereo, and swim. On this day the spring temp's brought out a few dozen boats, sail boats, fishermen, and wave runners. Towards the shore where it's shallower you can tell just how clear the water is at Canyon Lake, I would say you could see down at least 15 feet.



0 comments: