Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tackle This!

Lawson is in the midst of summer training camp for his upcoming season of Alta tackle football. He has camp Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays each week from 630-800 in Draper park. They do a lot of agility type training and exercises. Last Friday they focused a portion of the practice on tackling technique. He's still a little new to the concept, but he got better as the practice went on. This video is his first (semi) real tackling experience after the coach explained to the kids what to do. The coach told the kids to spread their arms wide and come up from the bottom when going in for the tackle. His approach to teaching this skill was telling the kids to "show 'em your guns" so they opened their arms wide to get a hold of their target. It's going to be very interesting the first time he puts on all his pads and gets to tackle and gets tackled himself. I just don't know how he's going to react but I'm sure he'll take it like a trooper. One thing I've seen from these camps is that he just keeps trying and trying until he understands the particular drill their working on. I'm so proud he never gives up. I couldn't ask for anything more in a son. Good job Monkey!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO LAWSON!! What a great tackler. I'm glad he is putting his all into it. I'm looking forward to seeing video of him in action once game time begins. Can't wait to see you all tomorrow!
Love,
Jenna