Monday, April 21, 2008

Substitute Coach

A couple Saturday's ago bugga' boo started Spring football. We arrived at 11am expecting the usual orientation day technicalities of obtaining the jersey, flag's and team assignment. After we got Lawson squared away, we were informed that the coach for our team was out of town for the next 10 days. After some not so subtle nudging from Lawson, me and another father agreed to take the team until our [part time] coach returned. I figured that this guy had to be out of town scouting some new talent, because there is no way a responsible adult would disappoint a bunch of little kids by volunteering to coach football then skip out on the clinic AND the first 2 or 3 games.

Lucky for Jason (the other dad) and I, the kids have made it fun. Not having any previous coaching experience I wasn't sure I could pull it off, but being an avid football fan and Madden player, I knew I had it in me. When it comes down to it, I learned that as long as you rotate all the kids in consistently and allow each of them to be involved in a few plays each game, they're happy and so are the parents.

After the clinic a little over a week ago, we had our first game on Wednesday evening. The result was that the kids had a great time, our plays worked (all running, no passing), we held them with our defense and won 28-14.

This past Saturday we had our second game. We came out strong, but struggled a little toward the end of the game. The other team had a stiff defense and some obvious veterans. I swear one of the kids looks exactly like a corner back that plays for the 49'ers (at least he ran like it). We ended up with a 21-21 tie, but the kids had fun.


"Okay kids, we're going to run an Eagle Red Seven with a Cover 2 Option. Got it?"

You can just tell...the boy has got mad skills!!!
Check out that back peddle.

And Lawson's favorite part, DEFENSE.
His face when he snags a flag = sheer elation.


0 comments: